PollyBee

Country Girl

Thursday 8 May 2008

Waste!

I'm back with a vengeance. What's all this about waste!

Waste is things that you put on the compost heap, like peelings and the bits of cauliflower you don't cook, banana skins and apple cores. It's things like chicken bones and bits of onion, celery and parsnip, etc. that have been simmered for stock.

I can't believe what I'm hearing on the news today about the food thrown out by British families. I don't think I've ever ever thrown out one bit of food in my life unless you count some bits of bread thrown out for the birds. If a banana is going off I bake it fast. If I have chicken I make stock for risotto. If milk goes off I make scones. If I have too many eggs I make pickled eggs. I have too much cheese I make gratins. And all the rest of it that I thought everyone learnt at their mother's knees. I have been running a gourmet household for decades and I didn't even think about it.

I can't believe that people buy food, let it go past its sell-by date and then throw it out. It's so IMMORAL when half the world is starving. Sometimes I just hate this country and everything about it.

I thought an anaerobic digester sounded a good thing till I learnt that it would be digesting thrown out food, not thrown out waste. I am so disgusted. It is very very wearing to always know best, and to be getting so old that one knew everything far better beforehand than the politicians, the experts and the news.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home