PollyBee

Country Girl

Friday 10 July 2015

TWO YEARS LATER. . . .

I could still cry, as Google has made it so hard for me to use this old blog. But I am determined and I will win.

Nature itself (and a load of text codes and help forums!) will help me win.  In the silent spring that is present day Britain, I thought I had lost, among almost everything else, my little bat that has come out at one end of the cottage roof every dusk for 23 years.  I have been looking for it for about two years, and not seen it.  So, more gloom than ever.

Tonight, I sat outside in the dark until 10.00.  I said that if my little bat appeared by the end of the news headlines at about 10.01, then I would return to my blog.  And on the very second that the headlines finished, there it was, speeding across the sky like the loveliest thing I have ever seen.  The joy was similar to that of seeing ET in the bicycle basket.  Who ever, ever thought I would be saying hooray for one little bat.

There is hope.  Now, someone tell me whether David Attenborough said it was too late to save the planet or not.

Three years ago there were a hundred swifts overhead all high summer.
Two years ago there were fifty swifts overhead all high summer.
A year ago I only had twenty swifts overhead all high summer.
This year there are four.  They are my precious symbols, too.

And this is what I am shopping for instead of shoes and handbags:

http://www.swift-conservation.org/Shopping!.htm




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home